To help avoid an audit letter or to expedite your refund, there are some common errors you can check for before sending in your tax return.
1. Missing or incorrect social security number. – Make sure the SSN is put in correctly and that the name matches the SSN.
2. Failing to include all income. – Income includes interest, 1099’s, W-2’s, dividends and any other source of income.
3. Math mistakes – Check the return. If you have a complicated return, you might consider have it prepared professionally.
4. Forgetting to sign and date your return.
5. Failing to file your tax return. – Failure to file has steeper penalties than filing and not paying. Make sure to file on time or file an extension.
6. Forgetting to include the payment. – If there is a balance due, make sure to include the payment with the return.
7. Claiming the wrong amount of credits and deductions. – This is actually the biggest mistake in filing returns. This can result in steep penalties and even an audit. If you are not sure about credits or deductions, go to www.irs.gov or consult a professional.
8. Wrong filing status. – If you are not sure, go to www.irs.gov or check with your tax preparer.
9. Failing to include estimated tax payments or previously applied refunds.
10. Incorrect bank numbers for direct deposit.
Checking for these simple common errors when doing tax prep can save a great deal of time and frustration and ensure that your tax return is processed by the IRS without delay.
“We got behind on our taxes and ended up owing the IRS over $20,000. We felt the financial pressure of having this debt and didn’t see any way we would be able to pay them in a timely manner. We consulted with CKTax and found we qualified for an Offer In Compromise. They took care of everything. We never had to talk with the IRS once. The IRS settled our debt of over $20,000 for $500!!”Ben & Crystal Fleming
Owner - Fleming Construction Branson, MO
“I found CKTax online. Cynthia counseled me in what to do, how to do it, and worked with the IRS to put holds on the penalties and interest. She negotiated me time to gather my reporting data so the IRS could not use liens or other measures. I was pleasantly surprised with the level of service and the attentiveness to my needs. My delinquent tax returns were completed quickly and very efficiently.”Sandra Jarnagin
Real Estate Agent Houston, TX
“I am extremely pleased with the service and professionalism from CKTax. They helped me negotiate a $30,000 tax debt from three years of back taxes to a reasonable amount of $4,000. She dealt with the pushy IRS agents, so I didn’t have to lose my peace of mind knowing she had it under control. She was polite and answered all the questions I had about what was going on.”Caleb Shallert
Owner - Deerstone Development Santa Rosa, CA